Who am I?

A wife, soon to be mother, daughter, sister, friend, cook, reader, photographer, runner, orchid lover, moonbeam driving, traveling, adventure seeking-so long as it's safe- gal.



Saturday, January 29, 2011

Whistler with the Litzler's


Ski weekend was a success! We headed up to Canada, to Whistler Blackcolm mountain. Great weather, great friends and lots of fun on the slopes. I never thought I'd consider myself a 'skier'. 3 years ago when I moved to Seattle my husband encouraged the idea of having my own set of ski equipment. He thought if I was ever going to learn, the process might be easier if I had the consistency of my own pair of skis. He was right!
The first year out it took me at least 5-6 trips to the mountain to actually feel like I enjoyed the sport. Over the past 2 years I've gradually advanced from green runs and this year to the blues...
I took a lesson the first day and was so proud of my ski success, blue runs all day!
Day #2 wasn't so fantastic - not for me at least. Legs were sore, boots too tight, fell twice (while standing straight mind you! ) and I had lost my confidence in myself.

(View from Gondola on Peak to Peak)

Day #2 on top of Blackcolm at 'Seventh Heaven", most gorgeous sites!
More from Seventh Heaven...


Sometimes pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone can be helpful to advance to new levels of skill and to really prove to yourself that 'you can do it'. This was all true on Day #1, and it felt great! Day #2, my body just wouldn't do what the mind wanted and in the end wasn't so fun.
Day #3 I listened to my body and stayed in the lodge! Hubby and friends went for some great runs themselves and got the most out of our last day on the slopes.

What I learned was to continue to build my skills and become a master of them on the easy slopes- greens. Then I can gradually advance to the harder runs. Maybe next time I'll have 3 great days instead of just one. :)

Nonetheless it was a great time!

On the running update, I completed Week 2 on the 'couch to 5K'. Would have been nice to keep it up onto Week 3, but thanks to a good old fashioned head cold I've been work and couch bound. Next week I'll hit the road once I recharge my batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment