
I recently joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) veggie delivery service with my friend. Every other week a large box of organic, delicious fruits and vegetables shows up on her doorstep. Most of these are seasonal veggies (hence the CSA) and this week a bunch of turnips was included. I asked myself, what am I going to do with these? Then I remembered a delicious side dish my Mom and Memere always made for Thanksgiving. I thought I'd give it a try.
I only had 6 small carrots and 5 white turnips (small ones a little bigger than a golf ball) This allowed for about 1 cup of a finished dish.
I'd recommend:
1 whole bunch of carrots and 10-15 turnips to make a dish for all to share.
Basically, this is the easiest dish!
1. Wash and peel the outer layer of both the carrots and turnips- (they are root veggies)
2. Chop to smaller pieces
3. Boil till soft with a fork (just like potatoes)
Then mash and add the following to taste:
salt and pepper
a little paprika
cinnamon and sugar- just a little (Brown sugar can also be used and I'm sure would be equally tasty. )
Yumm!
A healthy alternative to the typical heavy in the wasteline dishes frequently found at your Thankgiving table.
Looks yummy!
ReplyDelete