I love New Years Day.
It's a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the year past but more importantly to look forward to the year to come. It's not often that we get to 'start over' but as users of a Gregorian calendar, we can do this every year, on the same date. A Christian calendar will make a great argument to have this day of renewal be on Easter Sunday- which date changes yearly. What other day is more renewing than that? As I strive to be organized (as much as I fail at this daily) a January 1st, day of renewal just makes it easier to remember!
Ok, so onto some personal reflecting. 2011 was a wonderful year in may ways. There were points along the year which were a little rough, but worth mentioning nonetheless. We took an impromptu trip with my parents and 87 yo Memere to Hawaii. It was lovely to spend some much needed time together on a very unexpected vacation. 2 weeks later, my Pepere died, but right in my Mem's arms after saying I love you.... Shortly after Pep's passing (clearly he was needed in heaven to pull a few strings) we closed on our house, finally. A little divine intervention was needed after that saga...thanks Pep!
We moved in August and once again Mem and Mom came out to help. We've been settling into our new home and spent the month of September reorganizing, decorating and getting to know the place. In October, we found out we were pregnant, in November we both worked a ton and travelled home in December and... WHAT, Did I just say I was pregnant?!
Yes, I am! Due June 8th and already 17 weeks it's been an exciting few months. The hubs is ecstatic and so are our family and friends. I spent the first 2 months nauseated with multiple food aversions and left to eating PB&Js at practically every meal but then one day I awoke and felt great. We travelled for a much needed R&R trip in the beginning of December and spent Christmas in MA with my family. I'm feeling great, though it's still hard to believe there is a little life inside so dependent upon me. We're not going to find out if it's a boy or a girl, so an exciting surprise awaits!
Here's a picture of the little one...
11 week U/s, there's a little hand waving above the baby's face :)

Looking forward to 2012 are many exciting adventures both personally and professionally. With a little planning and preparation I hope it to all go smoothly.
I realize that having a baby means loosing some sense of control. You can't control an infant no matter how hard you try. So I'm giving in and expecting the cluelessness of a being a new parent to be as overwhelming as everyone says. No matter how much one might 'know' this parenthood thing is all 'on the job learning.' (Ha! Just like residency :) So to prepare there are few things to do...
We're going to work on getting ourselves in order. After moving we still have several little projects left to do. As I said before I strive to be organized but often feel like my piles have taken on a life of their own. So this year I resolve for the first 6 months to 'get my act together' and organize myself, my life and my house. This entire year though I hope to live by these words:
"Lord grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."
As far as pregnancy and parenting goes, I have wonderful parents and friends who are excellent examples of great parents. I hope my observations of them over the years will rub off a little on me. In the meantime, I'll continue working on the things I have control over, myself, my diet, the important relationships in my life, my professional endeavors, my hobbies, and a positive attitude (always a work in progress).
As for things I have no control over, there is prayer. I pray for a healthy pregnancy, and most importantly a healthy baby, the courage needed during parenting and for many blessings to be bestowed on the life of the baby we have yet to meet.Happy New Year to all my friends. May 2012 be a time of health, self reflection, inner peace as well as peace around the world and much love to you all!
Congratulations to both you and Pat, please tell him we said so too! Parenthood is the best!! All the best to everyone for a very happy and healthy 2012!!
ReplyDeleteD.B., Hillary & Colbie Sanders