Who am I?

A wife, soon to be mother, daughter, sister, friend, cook, reader, photographer, runner, orchid lover, moonbeam driving, traveling, adventure seeking-so long as it's safe- gal.



Sunday, May 15, 2011

Running and rain


Today my running buddy L and I ran the Seattle "Beat the Bridge" 8K. The idea is to make the 2 mile mark and cross the University draw bridge before it goes up (usually 10 min miles). We signed up for this race weeks ago in the hopes it would be a good training run on our quest for our 2nd 1/2 marathon in June. Three weeks ago, our training and running schedule changed with some injuries. It's been a frustrating 3 weeks without running and enduring some hip pain when I tried. Despite the running drought, race day came and so did the rain.

We braved the weather, constant rain the whole 5 miles and we actually 'beat the bridge!" Having not run in 3 weeks, I did not think it was even possible. However when our heat started our options were to run or be trampled. So we ran, and our bodies felt ok, so we kept running. We had no aspirations to actually make the bridge in time but as we got closer we knew it was possible. The smiles across both our faces were evident and it was so inspiring to realize that we could do it!

With the rain, our drenched state and sore muscles we walked most of the remaining course; nonetheless we finished. We know that completing the 1/2 will be a challenge as our training plan is on standstill and progressing into longer runs is just not realistic at this point yet. These injuries are still a bother, but we will still try and see how it goes.

When I got home, I thought, "I'm not really that wet, I'll just change into new clothes", I was drenched, soaked down to the bone, hair dripping wet. It was the best feeling of accomplishment and the best hot shower in a long time. We topped off our morning with a victory breakfast and a little eggs benedict.

1 comment:

  1. There will always be setbacks, and walking is not a failure!!! You will complete this half! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete